Susan Munn is an experienced labour and employment litigator. Before joining PooranLaw in July 2018, she worked for 10 years as management-side counsel in the Treasury Board Secretariat of the Government of Ontario. In that role, Susan handled countless labour and employment law matters, specializing in discipline, accommodation and attendance management, and appeared regularly before labour arbitrators, the Grievance Settlement Board, the Ontario Labour Relations Board, the Ontario Human Rights Tribunal and the Ontario Superior Court of Justice.
Susan continues to advise on a wide range of complex labour and employment matters, such as collective bargaining, workplace investigations, workplace conflict and policy development. She is known for her practical and solutions-oriented approach to every topic she encounters.
While in law school, she worked for the BC Pension Corporation, the territorial government of Nunavut and a full-service law firm in St. John’s, Newfoundland, while volunteering with the Together Against Poverty Society as an advocate for individuals applying for Persons With Disability status.
Before the crack of dawn, Susan listens to audiobooks while steadily trying to improve her half-marathon time.
Community involvement and advocacy work
Susan is an active member of her community in east Toronto. She has done everything from meal service to organizing diaper drives with organizations like Lawyers Feed the Hungry, Holiday Helpers, and Nellie’s Shelter. She runs movie night at her child’s school and was a parent representative on the School Advisory Council from 2017-2018.
Recent blog posts
Selected reported decisions:
- Ontario Public Service Employees Union (Goden) v. Ontario (Community Safety and Correctional Services), 2018 CanLII 64393 (ON GSB)
- Ontario Public Service Employees Union (Asztemborski et al) v Ontario (Treasury Board Secretariat), 2017 CanLII 92686 (ON GSB)
- Ontario Public Service Employees Union v. Ontario (Community Safety and Correctional Services), 2017 CanLII 92684 (ON GSB)
- Ontario Public Service Employees Union (Sadloo) and the Ministry of Community and Social Services, 2014 CanLII 80977 (ON GSB)
- Ontario Public Service Employees Union (Gyapong) and the Ministry of Children and Youth Services, 2013 CanLII 31978 (ON GSB)
- Daniel Mitta and the Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing, 2013 CanLII 42027 (ON PSGB)
- Jamal v. HMQ, 2013 ONSC 1290 (CanLII); 2013 ONSC 2994 (CanLII)
- Morris v. Ontario (Finance), 2011 HRTO 1889 (CanLII)