Susan Munn is an experienced advocate. For over a decade Susan has provided advice and representation to employers in a wide range of labour and employment matters, with a specific focus on discipline, accommodation and attendance management. In her role as advocate, Susan has appeared regularly before labour arbitrators, the Grievance Settlement Board, the Ontario Labour Relations Board (OLRB), the Human Rights Tribunal of Ontario (HRTO) and the Ontario Superior Court of Justice.
As counsel to PooranLaw, Susan supports health, social services and disability service sector agencies in a wide range of complex labour and employment matters, such as grievance arbitration, HRTO and OLRB matters, collective bargaining, workplace training and investigations. Before joining PooranLaw in 2018, Susan worked for 10 years as management-side counsel in the Treasury Board Secretariat of the Government of Ontario.
Susan is also committed to advocating on behalf of people and children with disabilities and provides education law advice and advocacy for students who are navigating issues such as accommodation, identification/placement, and discipline, with a focus on the public school system. Susan brings a practical and solutions-oriented approach to every topic she encounters.
While in law school, she worked for the BC Pension Corporation, the territorial government of Nunavut and a full-service law firm in St. John’s, Newfoundland, while volunteering with the Together Against Poverty Society as an advocate for individuals applying for Persons With Disability status.
Before the crack of dawn, Susan listens to audiobooks while steadily trying to improve her half-marathon time.
Community involvement and advocacy work
Susan is an active member of her community in east Toronto. She has done everything from meal service to organizing diaper drives with organizations like Lawyers Feed the Hungry, Holiday Helpers, and Nellie’s Shelter. She runs movie night at her child’s school and was a parent representative on the School Advisory Council from 2017-2018.
Recent blog posts
Selected reported decisions:
- Ontario Public Service Employees Union (Goden) v. Ontario (Community Safety and Correctional Services), 2018 CanLII 64393 (ON GSB)
- Ontario Public Service Employees Union (Asztemborski et al) v Ontario (Treasury Board Secretariat), 2017 CanLII 92686 (ON GSB)
- Ontario Public Service Employees Union v. Ontario (Community Safety and Correctional Services), 2017 CanLII 92684 (ON GSB)
- Ontario Public Service Employees Union (Sadloo) and the Ministry of Community and Social Services, 2014 CanLII 80977 (ON GSB)
- Ontario Public Service Employees Union (Gyapong) and the Ministry of Children and Youth Services, 2013 CanLII 31978 (ON GSB)
- Daniel Mitta and the Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing, 2013 CanLII 42027 (ON PSGB)
- Jamal v. HMQ, 2013 ONSC 1290 (CanLII); 2013 ONSC 2994 (CanLII)
- Morris v. Ontario (Finance), 2011 HRTO 1889 (CanLII)